Whether you’re a seasoned player or just starting out, all golfers desire to shoot their best score on a golf course. Using tools like a golf GPS app can help you execute best golf course strategy knowing the precise distances to bunkers, water, and the green.
Golf GPS apps use satellite data to monitor your position on the golf course and pinpoint your location and distance accurately. You get precise and valuable information about a specific golf course to help improve your game.
Here’s why you should download one, what to look for, and a review of the best golf GPS apps to try out the next time you hit the links:
Why You Should Use Golf GPS Apps
#1: Eliminate Guesswork
A golf GPS app is like a digital caddy that gives you a secondary perspective of the course. The app captures all the critical information you need to achieve more accurate golf shots. Some GPS golf apps can calculate your average swing distance for all clubs and recommend the best ones to use in each situation.
You can make better decisions when you know the exact distance to the hole or the location of the water hazards. Being informed ensures you make the right moves while staying focused on the game.
#2: Quick Familiarity with the Course
Using a golf GPS app gives you the advantage that usually only comes with repeated experience. Instead of taking numerous plays on unknown courses to get the right strategy dialed in and avoid traps, you get the information you need upfront.
Immediate familiarity with the course improves your game experience and performance. You get increased awareness for better planning, even in courses you’ve never played before.
#3: Enhanced Game Flow
A golf GPS app makes the game more efficient. You can save time you’d have spent eyeballing or measuring distances. With a GPS app, you no longer have to waste time trying to determine the exact distance or the best club for a particular terrain.
The app conveniently provides everything you need on your smartphone for smooth gameplay. You no longer have to carry multiple devices like a rangefinder and GPS watch.
Factors to Consider in Golf GPS Apps
- The golf GPS app you choose should have a reliable map database. This guarantees you get accurate data on distances and course details like hazards, traps or bunkers.
- The app should be user friendly. You don’t want a tool that stresses you out instead of helping you focus on the game.
- The app should support your golf club or course. Most apps have 50,000+ courses in the database.
- If you’re a social golfer, consider an app with features like social media integration to connect with your golf buddies.
- If you pay for an app, ensure it gives you additional features and statistics not available in the free versions.
Golf Training Plans to Follow:
- How to Score in the 60’s Golf Training Plan
- How to Score in the 70’s Golf Training Plan
- How to Score in the 80’s Golf Training Plan
Review of the Best Golf GPS Apps
Hole19 is a high-quality golf GPS app available for Android and Apple phones and watches for free. Experience a unique and intuitive design plus an excellent user interface. You can check distances to the center, front or back of the green on over 43,000 courses!
- Complete features on the free version.
- Clean, user-friendly interface.
- Reliable GPS rangefinder.
- Digital scorecard to easily track your scores.
- Provides you with a realistic satellite image of the course.
- You can easily connect to a worldwide golf community.
- Limited customer support
Free Download: Grab my 15 Best Golf Drills eBook that helped me lower my golf scores!
#2: The Grint
The Grint golf GPS app is perfect for handicapping. It’s fun and easy to use and makes tracking of your handicap a breeze. The Grint app is free and available for Android and Apple smartphones.
- Gives you valid handicaps for USGA-registered golf clubs.
- Easily set concrete goals for your handicap.
- Easy to keep track of your scores.
- Track complex stats like your GIR percentage and iron accuracy.
- Satellite photos give you a bird’s eye view of the course. You can see your location and every hole in the course to navigate easily.
- You can connect with your friends and compare scores.
- Gives you the accurate distance to hazards and all sides of the green.
- Access to thousands of golf courses and an option to add more.
- The desktop version of the app could be better.
#3: 18 Birdies
With 18 Birdies, you get a digital scorecard, GPS rangefinder and stat tracker all under one roof. It offers you plenty of news from the golfing world, rewards and side games. The app allows you to create golfing social network to share scores and compete.
- Available for Apple and Android devices for free.
- Provides you with crisp satellite images of the course.
- Gives accurate distances on every side of the green. You can adjust your target while maintaining distance information.
- Advanced statistics and course data.
- The apps AI swing coach gives you instant feedback on your swing.
- Social networking for friendly competitions and sharing experiences.
- Scorecards integrated with post-round summaries.
- Only US courses are available.
The GolfShot golf GPS app is suitable for everyone, whether you’re a pro or casual player. It has both free and pro features and is available for Android and Apple smartphones and devices. It’s highly rated among golfers and is excellent if you want to improve your game gradually.
- You can track each shot you make on the course.
- The free version offers you the distance to the center of the green, scorecard features and basic hole information.
- Enables you to check your stats and golf news conveniently.
- The pro version offers real-time distances to all key targets and hazards.
- You can access more than 40,000 courses.
- You can zoom in on the map or adjust to a full 3D view of the hole.
- Enables social connectivity, leaderboards and contests with other golfers.
- The plus version of the app is expensive, considering you get similar features on other free apps.
Resource: Get the All Access Pass. Learn about our training programs with step by step practice drills, weekly schedules and routines to follow so you can break 90, break 80 or scratch golf.
GolfLogix has been around for a while and is loved by many golfers worldwide. It takes golf GPS to a whole new level by giving you an advanced view of the green. You get a topographical, 3D, in-depth map of each green. It’s available for Android and Apple smartphones.
- Offers a free trial.
- Features over 8,000 golf courses.
- Unique Putt Breaks feature lets you click on the location of your ball on the screen and drag it to where you want to target with an accurate and close up map of the green.
- You can view the direction and location of all contours on the green on a zoom-able 3D map.
- Easily spot every hole with graphical representation.
- Provides accurate distance information and the precise ball hitting data.
- Most of its features are available in the paid version only.
With the SkyDroid app, you don’t require an internet connection to view GPS distances. It’s available for Android and iPhone phones at $1.99 only, which is fair considering the value you get.
- It’s easy and straightforward to use.
- Center, front and back GPS distances to every green.
- Accurate distance to target points, hazards, trees and bunkers.
- Clear satellite views of every course.
- Track how far you hit a shot with the Shot Tracking feature.
- Download unlimited course maps
- Has an outdated user interface and is not as detailed as other apps.
Overall, the best free golf GPS app is Hole19, while the best-paid golf GPS app is GolfShot Plus.
Golf Practice System for Lower Scores
Learn the exact golf practice routines thousands of students at Foy Golf Academy are using to lower their golf scores.
Follow these step by step practice plans and watch video lessons to learn how to improve your golf swing, chipping, and putting fundamentals.
Get access to hundreds of golf drills to practice as well as content on the mental side of golf, fitness plans, worksheets, and many more resources. This is a complete golf practice system.
Nick Foy, Instructor
*Some links on this page may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting me.