9 Best Golf Shoulder Exercises For Women To Make Your Golf Swing Faster
The main aim for all women golfers is to increase their golf swing speed. A better golf swing helps them to hit the golf ball over a considerable distance.
The golf swing is the process of swinging the club to hit the ball. The golf swing is a very energetic and stressful action for your body. A balanced swing is performed by golfers having great mobility in their shoulders, hips, and trunk.
Most of the top golfers do hard training to improve their golf clubhead speed. As the speed of your clubhead highly depends on your shoulder muscles. Shoulder and upper limb muscle exercises will help you to drive the ball at a larger distance.
Incorrect swings and grip techniques can give rise to several injuries to your body. Due to improper swing, the body’s soft tissues, muscles, tendons, and ligaments are affected. The damage in these tissues will lead to severe pain.
BEST SHOULDER EXERCISES FOR WOMEN GOLFERS:
Practising a perfect swing helps you to make the game on your side. The golf swing is highly dependent on the action of muscles of the shoulder. For better swing, you have to develop a proper shoulder workout routine. This routine will improve your golf clubhead speed and help you minimize the risk of any shoulder injury.
Here are some common shoulder exercises that will help you out in your posture balance and make your golf swing flawless.
STANDING SHOULDER STRETCH:
Standing shoulder stretch will target your rotator cuff muscles. It is a perfect warm-up exercise. You can also perform this exercise to relieve tension and stress from your shoulder.
- Stand straight with both feet close to each other.
- Bring your right arm on the front just below the shoulder height.
- Place your left hand on your right elbow and gently pull your right arm over your body using the left hand.
- Maintain this posture for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Repeat it 5-10 times with alternative arms.
SHOULDER WALL SLIDE:
To perform this exercise, you need the support of the wall. The shoulder wall slide stabilizes your shoulder muscles and improves your posture.
- Stand upright with your back pressing against the wall.
- Bring your arms up, pressing your shoulder blades into the wall.
- Bend your knees and start sliding your body downward.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds. Repeat this exercise at least ten times.
Resource: Short Game Golf Practice Template
Push-ups are one of the most common whole-body exercises. It specifically targets the shoulder, arms, forearms, and wrist. Push up toughens your scapular region and back. It also improves our body posture.
- Lie down and place your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Tuck your feet and straighten your arms and legs.
- Gently drop your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Wait for a second, then push your body up again.
- Repeat it 7-8 times.
The genuine gains of push-ups for golfers are that they strengthen the pectoral (chest) muscles and improve the stability of the shoulders. In addition, it helps golfers to perform a smooth swing.
- Rotation of your shoulder assists you in performing a smooth swing. This faster swing is important to ace the game. This exercise will work on your rotator cuff muscles and increase mobility in your shoulder.
- Grasp a cable in your hand.
- Make sure that your arm and forearm should be making 90 degrees angle with each other.
- Now pull the cable by rotating the shoulder inward.
- Slowly rotate your shoulder externally and return to the initial position.
FRONT DUMB BELL RAISE
- Front dumbbell raise targets the biceps, fronts and sides of the shoulders and chest muscles. It helps in shoulder mobility and tones your upper body.
- Take dumbbells in each hand.
- Raise your both hand above your head.
- Hold the position for a few second and then return to the starting point.
- Perform 7-8 reps for each hand.
Resource: Golf Fitness Training Program
- This exercise helps to improve the range of motion of your shoulder. It enables the golfers to perform the faster swing. It is an easy and effective exercise that stretches your shoulders for an effective swing.
- Lie on a bench and hold low-weight dumbbells in each hand.
- Make sure that your elbow is at a 90-degree angle.
- Gently lowers the dumbbells down until your hands are next to your hips.
- Try to do at least ten reps.
- It is an essential part of the golf workout routine. It helps to maintain scapular stability during the golf posture.
- Stand straight with the feet joining each other.
- Grab low-weight dumbbells in both hands.
- Now raise your arm at 90 degrees at your shoulder height.
- Hold this position for a second and then slowly lower the arm so that it becomes perpendicular to the ground.
- Repeat the steps almost 7-8 times.
- Lateral raise works on the deltoid muscle. It is one of the prime movers of the shoulder joint.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Make sure to keep your hands by your side.
- Arms should be straight, and your palms facing inward toward your legs.
- Elevate your arms to the height of your shoulder but do not lift them higher.
- Bring your arms back to your sides slowly.
- At least do 6-7 reps.
- Sword pull targets on your rotator cuff muscles. This exercise will help golfers to maintain the plane of their arm at the top of the backswing.
- Grab a dumbbell in your right hand while keeping your left hand at your back.
- Start rotating your shoulder externally and pull the dumbbell to the right. The movement should look like as you are pulling a sword from a scabbard.
- Lower the dumbbell again to the initial position.
- Repeat the steps 7-8 times.
Popular Questions About Golf Exercises & Fitness Routines
WHAT MAKES SHOULDER EXERCISES ESSENTIAL FOR WOMEN GOLFERS?
Shoulder exercises are vital as they provide mobility to the shoulder. A better range of motion at the shoulder joint allows you to hit the ball at a vast distance.
Golf is a game of swing. The better you swing, the more chances of winning the match. All top golf players do shoulder workout to maintain their swing and perform well throughout the day.
HOW TO DO A GOLF SHOULDER WORKOUT AT HOME?
You can engage yourself with golf training in your spare time. This workout will not only improve your game but also prevent you from injuries. You can do some exercises like shoulder wall slide, rotation of the shoulder, and shoulder stretch quickly at home.
You can even perform exercises requiring dumbells. If you don’t have dumbbells at your home, you can use filled water bottles and liquid cans present at your home. All these things are alternatives to dumbells.
SHOULDER INJURIES IN WOMEN GOLFERS:
Women golfers are vulnerable to shoulder injuries. These injuries are due to poor technique or lack of mobility in the shoulders. They can be life-threatening and can also become a significant hindrance to your game.
A proper shoulder workout can prevent these shoulder injuries. When your shoulders offer a more comprehensive range of motion, there is significantly less chance of any tear or damage to the shoulder while performing a golf swing.
HOW DOES A HEALTHY SHOULDER AFFECT YOUR GOLF SWING?
Shoulder joints are continuously stressing out during the play. Swings throughout the game cause stress and pain to your back and shoulders. If you do not have healthy shoulder joints, you will start feeling muscle cramps and pain. Back to back swings may also tear out your tendons or ligaments if you do not have shoulder joints in healthy condition.
Most of the times, it is not easy to achieve your goals. People find it difficult to perform exercises in the beginning and then leave it. You have to keep yourself motivated during the journey.
Golf training is super important. The results will be indeed promising, and with constant efforts, you will see definite improvement in your game. Nothing comes in hands without pain. Train yourself for the game by scheduling a decent workout routine. Soon you will be performing a faster swing that will drive the ball at a massive distance without any strain on your shoulders.
Golf Practice Plans with Step by Step Schedules to Follow
- All Access: Get Every Practice Plan (Lifetime Membership)c
- How to Score in the 60’s Golf Training Plan
- How to Score in the 70’s Golf Training Plan
- How to Score in the 80’s Golf Training Plan
- The Bundle: Access to All 3 Training Plans
- Short Game Practice Plan for Chipping & Putting
- 21 Day Indoor Golf Training Plan