When it comes to improving your golf game, finding the right equipment is crucial. While much attention is given to selecting the right clubs, choosing the correct putter length can have a significant impact on your performance on the greens.
By taking the time to fit your putter length properly, you can improve your alignment, accuracy, and consistency, leading to lower scores and a more enjoyable golfing experience.
Most shops have putter length charts. Even though the charts are simply a guideline, it is a great place to start with. There are mainly three styles of putters that are available in the market. These include the standard putter, long putter, and belly putter.
To better understand about the length of the different styles of putters you can take a look at the below mentioned charts.
Standard Putter Length Chart
The length of this style of putter is based on the average sized person, and understandably is the most common putter available.
The length of this style of putter ranges between 31 to 35 inches.
|6’ or more||34.5”|
|5’10” – 5’11”||34”|
|5’9” – 5’10”||33.5”|
|5’5” – 5’8”||33”|
|5’3” – 5’4”||32.5”|
|5’1” – 5’2”||32”|
|4’11” – 5’0”||31.5”|
|4’10” and shorter||31”|
Belly Putter Length Chart
This type of putter is great for beginners or for someone who does not have great wrist control. A belly putter has a longer shaft and usually touches your belly (hence the name). This enables you to have a better control over your putter.
The length of this style of putter ranges between 38 to 47 inches.
|6’2” or more||44” – 47”|
|5’9” – 6’1”||41” – 44”|
|5’8” and shorter||38.5” – 40”|
Long Putter Length Chart
As the name suggests, long putters are longer than both standard and belly putters. The grip is different in a long putter.
The grip is split, meaning that you need to have a grip on the butt of the putter and then there is a break and then there will be another grip for your other hand at about the halfway point of the putter.
Long putters help you to anchor your top hand and gives you more accuracy. Long putters are good for someone who has a pendulum swing.
The length of this style of putter ranges between 45 to 54 inches.
|6’2” or more||54”|
|6’0” – 6’1”||52”|
|5’11” – 6’0”||51”|
|5’10” – 5’11”||50”|
|5’9” – 5’10”||49”|
|5’8” – 5’9”||48”|
|5’7” – 5’8”||47”|
|5’6” and shorter||45”|
Key Takeaways To Learn in this Guide
Let’s dive deeper into my guide on choosing the right putter length. Here’s a few things to note that will be covered below:
- Choosing the correct putter length is crucial for a consistent and repeatable putting stroke
- Investing time in putter length fitting can lead to improved alignment and accuracy on the greens
- Factors such as height, posture, and grip style should be considered when measuring and selecting putter length
- A properly fitted putter length can enhance your control, accuracy, and overall putting ability
- Fine-tuning your putter length can help optimize your setup for proper alignment and a consistent stroke
Why Putter Length Matters
When it comes to improving your golf game, selecting the right putter length is crucial. Not only can it help you achieve proper alignment, but it can also enhance your stroke mechanics and overall performance on the greens.
Based on your height, posture, and grip style, there are specific putter length recommendations that can suit your individual needs. By investing time in putter length fitting, you can find the ideal putter length that promotes a consistent, repeatable stroke, and ultimately lowers your scores.
But why is putter length so important? Here are a few reasons:
- Alignment: Having a putter that is either too long or too short can affect your alignment and aim. If the putter is too long, you may be forced to stand farther from the ball, which can cause alignment issues. Conversely, if the putter is too short, you may be inclined to stand closer to the ball, causing alignment issues in the opposite direction.
- Stroke mechanics: A putter that is the wrong length can also impact your stroke mechanics, such as the angle of your stroke and the position of your hands. This can lead to inconsistent strokes and poor accuracy.
- Comfort and confidence: Using a putter that feels comfortable and suits your individual needs can boost your confidence and enhance your performance on the greens. Conversely, using a putter that feels uncomfortable or ill-fitting can lead to frustration and negatively impact your game.
In summary, selecting the correct putter length is essential for proper alignment, stroke mechanics, and overall performance on the greens. By considering putter length recommendations and investing time in putter length fitting, you can find the ideal putter length that suits your unique body mechanics and enhances your golf game.
How to Measure Putter Length
Getting an accurate measurement of your putter length is a crucial step in finding the right putter for your game. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you measure your putter length correctly:
- Begin by standing in a comfortable posture with your arms hanging naturally at your side.
- Hold your putter with your normal grip, making sure the shaft of the putter is touching the ground.
- Ask someone to help you measure the distance from the ground to the top of your grip with a measuring tape.
- This measurement is your putter length.
It’s important to note that you should wear your golf shoes when measuring your putter length, as they will affect your posture and alignment. Additionally, if you are between sizes, it’s usually better to go with the shorter putter length to allow more control and accuracy in your putting stroke.
How to Measure Putter Length: Alternative Method
If you don’t have someone to help you measure your putter length, you can also use an alternative method:
- Set up your putter in a corner with the toe touching the wall and the grip extending outwards.
- Hold your putter with your normal grip, making sure the shaft of the putter is touching the wall.
- Note the distance from the wall to the top of your grip.
- This measurement is your putter length.
While this method can be done solo, it’s important to ensure that you are standing in a comfortable and natural posture to achieve accurate results.
Putter Length Fitting Process
Choosing the ideal putter length requires a thorough putter fitting process. Here are the essential steps:
- Measure your height: Stand upright with your golf shoes on, and get someone to measure the distance from the ground to your wrist crease.
- Determine your posture: Your posture can significantly affect your putter length. Determine whether you prefer to stand tall or more bent over your putter.
- Select a putter head style: Putter head styles can influence your putter length choice. Determine the type of putter head that suits your stroke mechanics and personal preference.
- Choose your grip style: Different grip styles can affect your putter length. Decide on the type of grip style you want to use and select a putter length that complements it.
- Experiment with different lengths: Try out different putter lengths to find the one that feels the most comfortable and natural for you. Use a putter fitting guide to ensure consistent measurements when testing different putter lengths.
The putter fitting process can take time, but it’s vital to find the ideal putter length that promotes proper posture, alignment, and stroke mechanics. Don’t rush this process as it will determine the success of your putting game. With patience and persistence, you can find the perfect putter length that suits your unique body mechanics and golf game.
Choosing the Right Putter Length for Better Performance
Correct putter length is a fundamental aspect of your putting game. By selecting the appropriate size for your build and posture, you can achieve better control, accuracy, and distance. Not only will this help you sink more putts, but it can also reduce the number of strokes overall, leading to a lower score.
The right putter length can promote better posture, which is essential for a consistent and repeatable stroke. With the correct alignment, you can ensure that your eyes are directly over the ball, allowing you to see your target clearly and hit the ball with precision.
When choosing a putter length, it’s essential to consider your individual needs and preferences. Factors such as your height, arm length, and grip style can all impact the length that is best suited for you. By taking the time to get fitted properly, you can ensure that your putter length promotes optimal stroke mechanics and enhances your overall performance on the greens.
Fine-Tuning Your Putter Length
Once you have measured your putter length and gone through the fitting process, it’s time to fine-tune your putter for proper alignment. This step is crucial for ensuring that your putter length promotes a consistent and repeatable stroke. Here are some recommendations:
Adjusting Your Stance
Your stance plays a significant role in putter length and alignment. To ensure proper alignment, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and position the ball in the center of your stance. Your eyes should be directly over the ball, and your putter should rest comfortably on the ground.
Tweaking Your Grip
Your grip style can also impact your putter length. If you tend to grip the putter with your hands close together, you may require a shorter putter length. Conversely, if you prefer a wide grip, you may need a longer putter length. Experiment with different grip styles to find what works best for you.
Testing Your Alignment
Once you have made any necessary adjustments to your stance and grip, it’s time to test your alignment. Place an alignment aid, such as a club or alignment stick, on the ground parallel to your target line. Then, take your stance and position your putter head behind the ball, aligning it with the aid on the ground. Check to ensure that your putter face is square to the target line.
By fine-tuning your putter length and alignment, you can optimize your setup and promote a consistent and reliable stroke. Take the time to experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you. With practice and persistence, you can become a more confident and effective putter on the greens.
Now that you understand the significance of having the correct putter length, you can make an informed decision when choosing a putter. Remember, finding the ideal putter length can enhance your strokes, improve your control, accuracy, and ultimately lower your scores.
We recommend that you follow the process of measuring and fitting your putter length based on your body mechanics, height, posture, and grip style. This will help you select a putter that promotes a consistent and repeatable stroke, leading to a better putting performance overall.
Additional Putter Length Recommendations
Here are some additional putter length recommendations to consider when selecting the perfect putter:
- Choose a putter length that allows you to comfortably align your eyes over the ball.
- Consider the type of putter you’re using; mallet putters often measure longer than blade putters.
- Experiment with different putter lengths to find the one that feels most comfortable and promotes the best strokes.
By investing time and effort in finding the correct putter length that works for you, you can improve your putting performance and take your golf game to the next level.
Why is choosing the correct putter length important?
Choosing the correct putter length is important because it directly affects your alignment and stroke mechanics. Having the right putter length can improve your control, accuracy, and overall putting ability, leading to better performance on the greens.
How does putter length impact my strokes?
Putter length is crucial for proper alignment and stroke mechanics. If your putter length is too long or too short, it can negatively affect your posture and lead to inconsistent strokes. By finding the ideal putter length, you can promote a more stable and repeatable putting stroke.
How do I measure putter length accurately?
To measure your putter length accurately, start by standing in your natural putting posture. Place the putter in front of you with the grip touching the ground. Measure from the ground to the top of the grip to determine the correct putter length for you.
What factors should I consider in the putter length fitting process?
When considering putter length, factors such as your height, posture, and grip style should be taken into account. These factors can help determine the optimal putter length that suits your individual body mechanics and promotes proper alignment.
How can choosing the right putter length enhance my performance?
By choosing the correct putter length, you can enhance your performance on the greens. The right putter length promotes better control, accuracy, and consistency in your putting stroke, ultimately leading to improved results and lower scores.
Can I fine-tune my putter length for proper alignment?
Yes, you can fine-tune your putter length for proper alignment. By making small adjustments to your putter length, you can optimize your setup and ensure that your putter promotes a consistent and repeatable stroke, enhancing your overall performance on the greens.
What is the significance of choosing the correct putter length?
Choosing the correct putter length is significant as it directly impacts your alignment, stroke mechanics, and overall putting performance. By understanding the importance of putter length and investing time in finding the right fit, you can enhance your golf game and lower your scores.
Golf Practice System for Lower Scores
Learn the exact golf practice routines thousands of students at Foy Golf Academy are using to lower their golf scores.
Follow these step by step practice plans and watch video lessons to learn how to improve your golf swing, chipping, and putting fundamentals.
Get access to hundreds of golf drills to practice as well as content on the mental side of golf, fitness plans, worksheets, and many more resources. This is a complete golf practice system.
Nick Foy, Instructor