Eyes Closed Golf Putting Drill
Why would anyone want to close their eyes during a putt? Well, in this instance it’s just a golf practice drill so the end result of the putt going in the hole isn’t what matters most.
The emphasis of this putting drill is to develop feel and this occurs by learning how to use your senses better. Our eyes give us information like distance perception but sometimes our eyes can deceive us too.
Instead, putting feel comes from the hands and the contact your feel the ball make with the putter at impact. This information quickly relays to your brain where you’ll feel if you’ve hit the ball too hard, too soft, or just right.
And the more putts you hit during practice, the more feel you’ll develop.
So for this drill to help aid your focus on feel in your hands, we want you to close your eyes so you rely on only the sensation of your arms swinging the putter head into the ball and how the ball feels at impact, coming off the face.
It may sound like a weird golf putting drill, but after trying it you’ll see what we’re talking about!
How to Do the Eyes Closed Putting Drill:
- Measure out putts from 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 feet
- Set down a golf ball at each distance
- Hit each putt but with your eyes closed
- Judge in your mind while your eyes are closed where you think the ball ended up
- Open your eyes and check your guess
- Repeat this drill until you get all 5 putts within a few feet of the hole in a row
- This develops your feel and speed control
Other Recommended Putting Drills:
Here are additional golf drills to help your short game skills improve and lower your golf scores consistently:
- Tiger Wood’s Double Gate Putting Drill
- Jordan Spieth’s Stare at the Cup Practice Drill
- Golf Putting Drills Routine for Speed Control
- 5 Best Putting Drills to Practice Like the Pro’s
Golf Practice Plans:
Try our step by step golf training plans that give you daily practice routines to complete. Each practice routine has putting drills, chipping drills, and golf swing drills for the driving range. Learn more about each.
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 70
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 80
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 90
- Short Game Golf Training Plan
- Indoor Golf Practice Plan + Fitness Training
- Fitness for Golfers: 8 Week Workout Plan
10 Best Short Game Drills
Enter your name and email to get instant access to our PDF download of the best short game drills to improve your golf skills.