The lob wedge will have the highest loft among the clubs in your bag, usually 58 to 60 degrees, with some having lofts that go up to 64 degrees. A shot made with a lob wedge allows the ball to travel very high and roll a relatively short distance upon landing.
The lob wedge can come in handy in various situations like;
- When you’ve got to get clear of a greenside bunker and very little green is available.
- Hitting flip shots around the green that fly high and short and land softly with little roll.
- When you’re in very deep rough around the green.
The lob wedge can be difficult for beginners and high handicappers. This makes forgiveness a vital factor when adding a lob wedge to your bag. It will help you get the ball flying high and stopping quickly, even on imperfect shots.
Here are some factors to consider when looking for a forgiving lob wedge and a review of the most forgiving lob wedges to help you in your decision.
Factors To Consider In A Forgiving Lob Wedge
Bounce improves the forgiveness of the lob wedge. Your wedge game will significantly improve when the bounce is a better match to your swing type. A high bounce lob wedge will benefit you in softer turf and if you take deep divots with a digger swing style and a steep attack angle.
A high bounce will also help you generate maximum spin and give you more control over your short game.
Cavity back wedges feature a hollow construction with perimeter weighting, which improves forgiveness and performance for all golfers. They have larger clubheads for an increased sweet spot across the face, making it easy to get a perfect contact with the ball even on off-center hits.
The cavity back also has a wider sole and a more forgiving sole grind, which will help you avoid digging so you can get behind the ball with ease.
The grind involves manipulation or removal of the wedges sole to help improve its contact with the turf. Grinds have a direct impact on bounce performance and can help increase the forgiveness of your lob wedge.
A suitable grind can ensure you don’t make contact with the ground before you strike the ball.
Grooves are carved onto the surface of wedges to improve performance and forgiveness by making them excellent at sifting through debris and making contact with the ball. The grooves also help improve the spin rate of the lob wedge.
Spin is an essential factor in a lob wedge because you’ll hit high spinning shorter shots and bunker escapes. Grooves create friction when they come in contact with the ball surface, and this friction generates spin.
Review of the Most Forgiving Lob Wedges
1. Cleveland Golf CBX 2 Wedge
The Cleveland CBX2 Wedge ticks all the right boxes. The 60 degree CBX2 is the most forgiving lob wedge for high handicappers and beginners, thanks to a 10-degree bounce, the cavity back design, dynamic sole grind, and impressive grooves.
- Cavity back with hollow construction design and perimeter weighting ensures excellent forgiveness.
- Thanks to Rotex Face technology and aggressive face milling, Tour Zip Grooves gives you maximum spin and stop on the green.
- The wider, C-shaped sole gives you better turf interaction for cleaner contact with the ball every time.
- Excess weight from the hosel is cut out and moved to the toe area to lower the center of gravity and increase MOI for more forgiveness on off-center hits.
- A thermoplastic gel inserted between the cavity and the back of the face enhances the feel at impact.
- Not suitable for low handicappers.
2. Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge
The Callaway Mack Dady CB Wedge is among the most forgiving lob wedges for high handicappers and is categorized as a game improvement iron. It offers incredible forgiveness thanks to a cavity back, wider sole, larger clubhead size, and specialized groove design.
- The cavity back construction improves forgiveness and ensures you get good results even on mis-hits.
- The clubhead is more oversized, and the top line is thicker to inspire confidence behind the ball at address.
- A wider sole pushes the weight lower in the clubhead. It lowers the center of gravity for effortless high launches out of bunkers.
- A unique groove in groove feature aggressively grips the ball for an excellent spin and stopping power on the green.
- The 60-degree wedge has an increased bounce of 12 degrees for more forgiveness on bunkers and thicker rough.
- It can feel a bit heavy to swing.
3. Mizuno T20 Wedges
The Mizuno T20 Wedge has a sleek look thanks to a grain flow forged HD process. The 60 degrees Mizuno T20 is the most forgiving lob wedge in wet conditions. It features plenty of control, an excellent feel, optimal spin, and two bounce options of 10 and 6 degrees.
- Laser-etched HydroFlow Micro Grooves help in channeling away moisture to give you a maximum spin in wet conditions.
- A discreetly placed weight in a tapered blade improves forgiveness for off-center hits and maintains stability.
- The precise CNC milled grooves are shallower and more comprehensive to give you consistency on shorter swings around the green.
- Precision weighting is designed to give you high launches and spin even on off-center strikes.
- The M Grind sole on the 10-degree bounce is suitable for most golfers. It enhances forgiveness in the toe and head for better turf interaction.
4. Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedge
The Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedge offers excellent value and performance. It’s one of the most forgiving lob wedges for beginners and high handicappers. The sole is designed to enhance forgiveness, and the bounce angles provide excellent stop spins from the rough, sand, or fairway.
- A specialized sole grind makes it easy to glide the club cleanly and smoothly through the turf.
- The modified bounce angle provides you with a standstill spin that offers maximum versatility and forgiveness.
- More consistent performance around the green is possible by opening up the face when making higher lofted shots.
- It has a traditional blade style shape with a sleek and stylish high polish finish that is very appealing.
- Reasonably priced with outstanding performance.
- Not suitable for low handicap players.
5. TaylorMade MG2 Wedge
The TaylorMade MG2 Wedge combines Raw Face technology with precision milling for improved precision, spin, and feel. The MG2 is the most forgiving lob wedge for low handicappers looking for accuracy on high shots around the green.
- Mass placement in the unique thick-thin head design enhances the center of gravity location for improved forgiveness and flight.
- ZTP grooves include a sharper edge radius and steeper sidewalls to give you maximum control and spin.
- Available in standard and low bounce grind options ideal for different course conditions and swing types.
- A milled grind sole enables excellent turf interaction so you can make cleaner contact with the ball consistently.
- You get a great feel on impact thanks to a TPU insert designed to reduce vibrations.
- The face rusts over time, which may not appeal to many users.
6. Autopilot xE1 Sand Wedge & Lob Wedge
The xE1 Sand Wedge & Lob Wedge from Autopilot is designed to make short approach shots easier. It’s one of the most forgiving lob wedges for beginners and high handicappers. It features heel-to-toe weighting, a more prominent sweet spot, a unique sole design, and a great look.
- You can easily hit soaring flop shots even as beginners, thanks to the design that doesn’t require an open stance or clubface opening for high strikes.
- The auto glide sole allows you to quickly get through sand or thick rough for crisp, clean ball contact every time.
- A rounded leading edge prevents the club from digging and gives you superior forgiveness even on off-center hits.
- The unique design eliminates fat shots and saves you strokes around the green without much much practice
- The weight is moved from the heel to the club’s toe for a reduced center of gravity to increase forgiveness and provide a more prominent sweet spot.
- The feel or feedback is poor and is not very responsive.
7. C3i Wedge
The C3i Wedge is an excellent choice for beginners and high handicappers struggling with their short game. It’s designed to be the most forgiving lob wedge for bunker escapes with a loft of 65 degrees, meant to benefit those learning how to hit the golf ball high.
- An extra-wide sole improves forgiveness by increasing the size of the sweet spot for good contact, even on mis-hits.
- The sole also has an auto glide feature that ensures you cut smoothly through the sand without digging or skipping.
- The beveled leading edge and extra curve reduce ground interaction to give you consistently clean contacts on all strikes.
- The shape of the heel and hosel eliminates snagging and catching in the rough.
- You can get the ball high without any unique swing technique, thanks to the high 65-degree loft.
- It’s not suitable for low handicappers