Jordan Spieth Putting Drill – Look at the Hole
In this golf putting drill you get to forget about watching the ball when putting and instead you’ll be looking at the cup as you make the putting stroke.
It’s a great drill we like to do on long putts to get a feel for distance control. But it’s even more important on short putts, which is where you’ll be starting off the drill first.
Why look at the hole when putting? Well think about most sports. In basketball you look at the hoop when shooting and in football you look at the receiver when throwing.
Golf is the one sport where you look down at the ball instead of at your target.
But like other sports, you can actually still make putts looking at the hole. This gives your brain distance and target information to help you sink the putt.
And by not looking down at the ball, you don’t have to spend your mental energy focusing on mechanics.
Instead, you develop trust that your mechanics will hold up and perform a successful putt just like a basketball player trusts his shooting mechanics will hold up while he focuses on the rim.
- Measure a 3 foot putt
- Set up to the ball like normal, square the putter face to your line
- Now look at the hole
- Make the putting stroke and trust it
- Make 5 putts like this from 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 feet
- Then make 3 putts like this from 15, 18, 21 feet
- Then work on lag putts from 25 to 50 feet just trying to get within a few feet of hole
Other Recommended Putting Drills:
Here are additional golf drills to help your short game skills improve and lower your golf scores consistently:
- Tiger Wood’s Double Gate Putting Drill
- Jordan Spieth’s Stare at the Cup Practice Drill
- Golf Putting Drills Routine for Speed Control
- 5 Best Putting Drills to Practice Like the Pro’s
Golf Practice Plans:
Try our step by step golf training plans that give you daily practice routines to complete. Each practice routine has putting drills, chipping drills, and golf swing drills for the driving range. Learn more about each.
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 70
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 80
- Golf Practice Routine to Break 90
- Short Game Golf Training Plan
- Indoor Golf Practice Plan + Fitness Training
- Fitness for Golfers: 8 Week Workout Plan
10 Best Short Game Drills
Enter your name and email to get instant access to our PDF download of the best short game drills to improve your golf skills.